WOA General Assembly set for 22 October
14 | 10 | 2020
On 22 October representatives from National Olympians Associations around the world will gather for the 2020 World Olympians Association General Assembly.
As a member of our global OLY community, this email is to update you on what this means for you and how you can play a part.
A Strong Platform
The WOA General Assembly takes place every four years and is the platform that allows us to map out the future direction of the organisation and ensure we are being of service to Olympians to the best of our ability.
It is also where the WOA Elections take place to determine who will represent you on our Executive Committee.
Candidates are nominated and voted on by NOAs and represent a diverse group of Olympians from across every continent, with a 50 per cent split between male and female members.
The last WOA General Assembly took place in Moscow in 2015. This year – due to the global Covid-19 pandemic – the meeting will take place online to ensure the health and safety of all participants.
Working for You
Since the last General Assembly, WOA has made huge strides in what we have been able to offer you, as Olympians, both directly and through your NOA.
- The WOA Grants Programme that funds Olympian-led community projects as well as initiatives that help the ongoing development of Olympians such as WOA’s Development Officer scheme and the recently announced scholarships for Olympians.
- The hugely popular OLY post-nominal letters scheme that has grown to a community of over 13,500 Olympians worldwide and counting.
- The fantastic and award-winning Olympians Reunion Centre (OLY House) at Rio 2016 and the Games-time free tickets for Olympians programme at Rio and PyeongChang.
- The global Olympians Health Survey – the first of its kind – that is helping build a more comprehensive understanding of the long-term health of Olympians.
- The delivery of two successful World Olympians Forums – in Moscow in 2015 and Lausanne in 2019 – empowering Olympians to share ideas and discuss the issues that matter.
- And finally, the strengthening of the relationship between WOA and IOC to ensure we are working in partnership to place Olympians at the heart of the Olympic Movement at all stages of their lives.
At this year’s General Assembly we will be discussing how we can take these projects and more to the next level to provide even greater support and opportunities for Olympians. We’ll also have an update on our plans for next year’s OLY House at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 and beyond to Beijing 2022.
We’ll be sure to keep you posted on the outcomes and will share a summary following the General Assembly.
You too can be a part of shaping the future of WOA. If you are keen to get involved, connect with your NOA, share ideas and send in questions that your national representative can put forward on your behalf at the General Assembly.
For the contact details for your NOA click HERE.
We welcome engagement from all Olympians in this process.
We are here for you.
The WOA Team